Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Miscellany

Sunday was our final band concert and it was phenomenal! The band (www.manateecommunityband.org) played really well. The program was demanding and contained a variety of musical genre (classical, marches, pops, etc.). The concert lasted over 2 hours and we were absolutely drained by the time we got home. I can't believe we've been playing with them for 6 months. The time has flown by! Now the challenge is to keep practicing over the break even though we have no music to learn. Our technique and tone are back to where they were when we stopped playing 15 years ago and now the thing is not to regress over the 6 month break!

How we got involved in the band:
Last fall we quit our church choir for a variety of reasons and were looking for an outlet for our music. Besides vocal music, we both have played instruments since we were in 6th grade (I play Eb Alto Sax and Dan plays French Horn). Once we left choir, we started looking for an opportunity to exercise our instrumental talent (we had both missed playing tremendously). We found the community band website and went to a rehearsal, intending only to sit on the sidelines and observe - we hadn't touched our instruments in over 15 years. However, the band members would have none of it and invited us to play that first night (we had taken our instruments with us). The band rehearses every week from October to March and presents concerts in various venues two times each month during that time period.

Yesterday, I went to my ortho doctor for my 1 year check-up after my bilateral knee replacement. He took x-rays and checked my knees (to be sure the prosthesis hadn't loosened up) and flexion and was absolutely thrilled with both. I don't need to go back for 3 years!!!

Today was a very quiet day - it was cloudy and threatening rain, so we just stayed home. I spent part of the day preparing for the last Bible study session Thursday. I can't believe the 11 weeks is finished. It seems like just a couple weeks ago we were starting our study of David and here we are done. Next week I'll be in Tennessee helping my dad pack up mom's things. The following Thursday we start Beth Moore's study on Daniel. I've led it 3X before, but there is still a demand for it. I think it is absolutely hands down my favorite study of hers. I love the way she breaks Daniel down into two sections - Lives of Integrity (Chap 1-6) and Words of Prophecy (Chap 7-12).

Tomorrow we take Aunti Vi shopping and then we're planning on heading over to Disney for the opening day of the Garden and Flower Show. If we do go, I'll try and post pictures.

No comments: